It's an eventful, event filled April in Chi-Town.
Scroll All The Way Down For A Month Full of Adult & Family Friendly Highlights Below Including 21+ punk & metal shows, Ticket Give Aways, original video interviews, live kids' show footage, Beat Kitchen Concerts for Kids, Bloodiest vinyl release, C2E2, CIMMfest 2012, Human Nature The Motown Show, 20 FREE copies of Just Kids book by Patti Smith, Prong, recommended bands at Cobra Lounge & Empty Bottle, Reggies, Schubas, & Sub-T, Theatre openings, CD releases, and more:
Sunday 4/15 Beat Kitchen's Concerts for Kids features The Boogers (Ramones style punk for the punk kin) at noon. ChiIL Mama's stoked to sponsor the series aimed at birth through 10 year olds with parents. Infants are free. Everyone else is just $6! Win 4 free tickets right here, to see The Boogers. We pick new winners weekly and have 4 free tickets to all kids' shows at Beat Kitchen and many other venues throughout Chicago. Then check out ChiIL Mama's YouTube Channel for loads of live Boogers show footage and our exclusive video interview with the band.
*Wait for Rafflecopter to load up right here (if you've gone through RSS feed or are scrolling down the blog and don't see it, click on the actual page title and it should pop right up). Entries are easy. Winning rocks!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Save The Dates:
Sunday, 4/22 Candy Band--noon at Beat Kitchen (all ages-aimed at birth-10 with parents) Do NOT miss these awesome Detroit punk Mamas! Check out ChiIL Mama's 2 video interviews with the band and live concert footage on our YouTube and Vimeo Channels.
Sunday, 4/29 Mary Macaroni--noon at Beat Kitchen
SAVE THE DATES: ChiIL Mama also has 4 FREE tickets to the following great kids' shows at The Wilmette Theatre! Check out their main site for the lineup, directions and show details. Entry forms coming soon, right here at ChiILMama.com and ChiILLiveShows.com.
April 21 The Boogers
May 26 Little Miss Ann
June 30 Mr. Singer and Sharp Cookies
Aug. 4 Laura Doherty
This is the big one! Freeks and geeks unite. The people watching will be prime. Break out your spandex and come on out April 13-15th. Kids under 5 are free with paying adults, and kids 12 and under are free on Kids' Day, Sunday April 15th. So get your littles in pop culture ed. mode. Click here for full details!
Who Needs A Ticket
All attendees six-years-old and up need a ticket to enter the Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo on April 13 and 14, 2012. Children 12 and under are admitted for free on Kids Day — Sunday, April 15, 2012. Children 12 or under must show proof of age to be admitted for free on Kids Day. Please note, C2E2 recommends all children under 18 attend with an adult, and all children under 13 must have an adult with them while at the con.
Follow C2E2 on Facebook here for all the latest details and check back with ChiIL Mama like we vote in Chi, IL...early and often, for our recommendations, hot finds and photo filled recaps.
If you need a night out, check out these concerts, theatre and film highlights for big kids (AKA: adults)
- April 12-15th!
Click here for details and our particular favs, highlights and recommendations
CIMM Fest Features over 50 films from 20 countries...live music...poster art...and talk backs with directors, writers, actors and more.
- The Cribs-Schubas
- Lollapalooza line up announcement
- Jersey Boys through June 3rd-9 weeks only-Bank of America Theatre--
- Dirty Ghosts-Empty Bottle We'll be there to shoot the show and are setting up a possible video interview.
- Mutts-Beat Kitchen Thursday, 4/12: Mutts @ Beat Kitchen (Deli Chicago showcase)
- Improv Play opens at DCA Storefront
- CIMMfest opening night
FRIDAY 4/13Blane Fonda-Schubas Friday, 4/13: Blane Fonda @ Schuba’s
- Steampunks at Reggie's--Gearbox Fantastique II
|Steampunk Chicago & The Squidling Brothers Circus present:Gearbox Fantastique II|
THE SQUIDLING BROTHERSWebsite
With glass walking, human block head, sword swallowing and other such feats to shock and amaze by The Squidling Brothers Sideshow!
JELLYBOY T CLOWNWebsite
Master of Ceremonies and clown extra-ordinaire Jellyboy T. Clown
Live gothic cabaret by Hellblinki!
V IS FOR VILLIANSWebsite
Theatrical electro rock by V is for Villains
STEAMPUNKS!And steampunk DJs The Lords & Ladies DJs on the Fusion-O-Scope!
- Pushed to the Edge--Multicultural Indian dance/Jazz Sax at Northshore Center
Two of Chicago’s longest running dance companies, Indian technique-based Natya Dance Theatre and modern dance ensemble Mordine & Co. Dance Theatre, collaborate on a World Premiere performance called Pushed to the Edge exploring themes of culture and identity. This one-night-only event takes place at the North Shore Center for the Performing Arts, Saturday, April 14. The work features new music composed and performed by Indian artist Chitrivina Ravikiran and jazz saxophonist George Brooks, uniting Eastern and Western elements. Individual tickets range from $30 to $38 and are available by phone at 847-673-6300 or online at www.northshorecenter.org.
- Baconfest is Sold Out
- "2012: The Beginning" travels the world to examine what the Sacred Maya texts really say about the "doomsday" date of December 21, 2012. Maya Doomsday Date Film Screening--We've been promoting this documentary a friend of ours edited, which will screen at 3pm this Sunday in Skokie. Check out our prior coverage and the full details here. Click here for the film's official website
- C2E2 (Kids' Free day!)
Save the dates:
- Red Baraat at Schubas (highly recommended!) We'll be there to shoot the show
- Fish Men-opening night at The Goodman
- Girl You Know It's True-opening night at Chopin Theatre
- Briar Rabbit @ Schuba’s
Wednesday, 4/18 & 19
- Being Shakespeare-opening night at Chicago Shakespeare
- Bear in Heaven & Doldrums at Schubas We'll be there to shoot the show and are setting up a possible video interview.
- Bloodiest/Winters in Osaka-Empty Bottle 21+(Bloodiest vinyl album release-record store day) Highly recommended! Click the link for tickets and band/show info. We'll be there to shoot the show and are setting up a possible video interview.
- Prong at Cobra Lounge. 8pm, 21+ Highly recommended. We'll be there to shoot the show and are working out details for a video interview. Click here for tickets and details.
- Breakbone-dance, and funky fashion at Viaduct Theatre (4/21 also)
5 Dancers, 5 Fashion Designers, 5 Minutes to...
A live MC and DJ provide the noise. Anything can happen.
April 20 & 21 at 9:30p
Late Night at The Viaduct
$5 at the door. A BONEfit for BONEdanse
details & full list of artists...
- Sleepy Sun at Subterranean
Saturday, 4/21*Record Store Day*
- Iceman Cometh opens at The Goodman
- Breakbone-dance, and funky fashion at Viaduct Theatre (4/21 also)
- Sixty Miles to Silver Lake opening at Collaboraction
- Revocation at Ultra Lounge We'll be there to shoot the show and are setting up a possible video interview.
- World Book Night (We'll be giving out 20 FREE copies of the book Just Kids by Patti Smith in person! Details coming soon.)
Winner of the National Book Award. In Just Kids, Patti Smith¹s first book of prose, the legendary American artist offers a never-before-seen glimpse of her remarkable relationship with photographer Robert Mapplethorpe in the epochal days of New York City and the Chelsea Hotel in the late sixties and seventies. An honest and moving story of youth and friendship, Smith brings the same unique, lyrical quality to Just Kids as she has to the rest of her formidable body of work‹from her influential 1975 album Horses to her visual art and poetry.
- Timon of Athens opening at Chicago Shakespeare Theatre
- Tigers Be Still opening at Theater Wit
- Tony Rogers & Sandman at Hideout 21+ We'll be there to shoot the show and are setting up a possible video interview.
- Archie Powell listening party at Township
- DAMAGE REdux
Two night barebones remount of the "iridescent"
concert This is a Damage Manual
April 27 & 28 at 9:30p
Late Night at The Viaduct (map)
$15 at the door. Room for everyone!
- STEVEN PAUL SMOKER-Empty Bottle-CD release
- Archie Powell-Subterranean-CD release
- JC Brooks & The Uptown Sound-Metro
- Human Nature-The Motown Show at Akoo Theatre in Rosemont 7pm
About Human Nature
Hailing from Sydney, the high school classmates who would go on to become Human Nature – brothers Andrew and Mike Tierny, Phil Burton and Toby Allen – were captivated by the harmonies of soul, gospel and R&B. Since forming Human Nature, the four friends have forged one of the most successful careers in Australian music history, releasing nine albums, five of which went to number one on Australia’s pop charts. They have toured internationally and opened for Celine Dion and Michael Jackson in Europe and Australia. Human Nature opened the Summer Olympic Games in Sydney in 2000 and their 2005 Motown tribute, “Reach Out,” went platinum five times over, attracting the attention of Smokey Robinson. The legendary singer recorded “Get Ready” with Human Nature and now presents their celebration of the Motown sound in an exclusive run at Las Vegas’ Imperial Palace, where they consistently have played to sold-out crowds for more than two years. For more information visit www.humannature.com.