photo credit kenny lau-houston, TX
Monster Jam roars into town at Allstate Arena for 3 nights only! Click HERE for discount tickets and create your own monster truck contest details (kids 10 & under) from ChiIL Mama. Check out the Monster Jam site for videos, games and more.
Here's more motorhead fun facts to impress your friends.
Snapshot: Monster Truck Facts
- Height – Approximately 12’ / 3.6 Meters
- Width – Approximately 12’ / 3.6 Meters
- Length – Approximately 20’ / 6 Meters
- Weight – 10,000 lbs / 4500 Kilograms
- Tire Size – 66”/ 167cm / 1.7 Meters X 43”/ 109cm / 1 meter on a 25” / 63.5 cm Tall Wheel
- Motor Type – Supercharged Fuel Injected Big Block American V8
- Motor Size – less than 575 cubic Inches / 9.4 Litres displacement
- Horsepower – 1350 – 2000+
- Top Speed – 70 MPH/113 KM/H, Monster trucks are equipped with tachometers which measure the working speed of an engine versus speedometers which measure vehicle speed
- Suspension Travel – 20-32” Fully adjustable Nitrogen or Coilovers
- Chassis – Custom Steel minimum of 8 points that attached to main chassis
- Body – Fiberglass Composite with Lexan Windshield
- Fuel Capacity – 22 Gallon/ 83 Litre Fuel Cell
- Fuel Type – 99.9% Methanol (Alcohol)
- Fuel Economy – 7 Gallons per Mile/17 Litres per Kilometer
- Truck Safety
- 50+ point safety inspection before each show
- Remote Ignition Interrupter (RII), Track Officials can shut a truck off at any time
- On Board Fire Extinguisher System
- Driver Safety
- 5 Point Racing Harness
- Fire Resistant Suit, Shoes, Gloves and Racing Helmet
- Transport Trailer (loaded) – 62,000 lbs / 28,000 Kilograms
Snapshot: About Monster Jam Events:
- At Monster Jam, monster trucks face off in two different forms of competition -- side-by-side racing and freestyle:
- Side-by-side racing – traditional bracket racing, where the first truck, with the least amount of penalties, crosses the finish line is declared the winner.
- Freestyle competition – allows drivers a limited amount of time on the open floor to show off their skills. In this category, the fans serve as the judges.
- 2007 was the 25 year anniversary for the Grave Digger Team
- More than 4 million Monster Jam fans attend events each year worldwide
- The World Finals in Las Vegas, NV brings 24 of the top trucks in the world to compete for the World Freestyle and Racing Championships. Competitors are by invitation only.
- A monster truck race team will travel 45,000 Miles / 72,400 kilometers a year by land to attend events.
- Typical monster trucks cost $600,000 yearly to build, staff, compete, transport and maintain on the Monster Jam tour.
- Steel body full-size cars are the vehicles typically crushed during a monster truck event.
- Cars, as well as vans, buses, motor homes, airplanes and ambulances, are attained from local junkyards and returned after each event.
- Average number of cars crushed per year: 3,000.